RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Reader Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smart Shelf Book Project Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTEDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smart Shelf Book Project Problems
    Posted: 28 April 2011 at 9:20pm
Hi All!!

I had a friend (much smarter than I) lend me his RFID toys book to read while on the road. (I drive truck)

Loved the book BTW Amal!!

I decided to tackle the smart shelf project and purchased an M1 reader and the antenna from digikey as the book suggests. I also purchased 25 Tag-it HF-1 tags from digikey.
I assembled everything as the book instructed yet after installing the software I have nothing showing up on my smart shelf inventory.
I have power to the M1 and antenna according to my cheap multi-meter. I'm guessing I need to do something with my computer to make things work? Or do I have improper components? Or is there something I need to check on the M1?

Unfortunately I am not real computer savvy (just enough to get me in trouble) and I am at a loss as to what to do next.
I searched the forum this evening and am beginning to wonder if I'm in over my head, lol.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I spent all evening reading posts and love what I read, I just need to educate myself to have a better grasp on what the posters are referring to and apparently learn something about writing codes.

I see much more reading in my future, lol.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all!!

DT........the newb.

Not so wise one trying to be wiser!! :-)
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 11:28am
Hi DT,

Welcome to the forum! Do you have the RS232 version of the M1? There are several versions of the M1, and some do not come with pins that can handle RS232 data voltage levels. Some versions come with TTL pins that only handle 0v to +5v data voltages, while RS232 uses -12v to +12v.

Where did you purchase your M1 from?
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
FTEDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTEDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 1:03pm
Hi Amal,

Thank you for your response!!

I purchased the M1 from eBay Embarrassed and in hindsight am realizing that probably wasn't the route to go. I did not realize/pay attention to the differences in the M1 and I betting that is what my issue is.

How to I tell which M1 I have would be my next question. And when I call Skyetek do I just need to clarify an rs232 M1?? I will go to Skyetek's website and see if I can discern what it is I actually have.

Thank you so much for your help/this forum/ and being accessible for newb's such as myself to be able to ask questions!! I really excited to make this work, every person who has asked what it is that I am doing gives me the deer in the headlights look and says WOW. Lol.

Thanks again,

DT

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 1:20pm
Hmm, how about posting a picture of the front and back of it. Usually the pins are marked. Other than that, not sure how one would be able to tell, but maybe something in the photos will give it away.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
FTEDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTEDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 3:43pm
https://picasaweb.google.com/WhiteyFTE/M12?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LoZjnnZwCMdCKycjmt94Ag?feat=directlink

Hopefully those pics are good enough for you to look at. I assume I need to get a photobucket account or something along those lines. If you cannot tell what you are looking at holler and I'll try to get you better pictures this evening. Thank you so much for your time and efforts!! I appreciate it. I'm really excited to get this working.

Also, while I'm thinking about it. I talked to Skyetek and they said they are out of the M1 with the rs232 capabilities. They directed me to Digikey or Mouser. I have an account with Digikey but they show several different M1's. All appear to be round which I'm assuming isn't a big deal, just a different design. However, is there something in particular I should be looking for if I do need to buy a new reader from them? Thanks again. I have to drive this weekend but I should be back Sunday evening!! Tip of the hat to you my friend!!

DT

Edited by FTEDT - 29 April 2011 at 3:52pm
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 3:50pm
Yep, that looks like you have the RS232 type.

Does the TX wire from the M1 go into the RX pin on the PC port and RX wire from the M1 go to the TX pin on the PC port? Seems simple but sometimes people overlook it.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
FTEDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTEDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 3:58pm
HOLY CRAP!!Embarrassed....I do have the TX and RX wires crossed!! UGH....I feel so stupid....I'll do some changing and report back!!

Edited by FTEDT - 29 April 2011 at 3:59pm
FTEDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTEDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 5:12pm
Unhappy Baaaahhhh....still don't show anything. I did however just notice that what appears to be a tiny inductor on the board is broken at the top (has 220 stamped on it). I cannot see any broken wires per say, but I did not notice that when I opened the package. You can somewhat see it on the previous picture link. I wonder if that could be causing my grief? I will try to get a picture up later this evening before I have to leave.

Thanks again for all your advice!! I appreciate it!

DT

While I'm thinking about it, if I do have to order a new board, do any of these from Digikey work? I'm not quite sure how to decipher which on I should be looking for. 

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=3539638&k=Skyetek%20M1

Edited by FTEDT - 29 April 2011 at 5:16pm
FTEDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTEDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 5:58pm
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 1:15pm
As long as the copper windings are not broken, it shouldn't be too big a problem.

PS, I've fixed photo attachments on the forum, you can directly upload and insert photos now.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic