RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Implants, rants, philosophy, news, etc. > Philosophy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tech question on passive rfid’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tech question on passive rfid’s
    Posted: 21 June 2006 at 10:41am
So how does the magnetic output of a reader actually "grab" ahold of a non-powered tag? I know it's by magnetic waves, but how does that work exactly? How does a magnetic wave (is 'wave' the righ word to use here?) power somethign enough for it to output a few bits of info?

Just curious because i'm sure people will be asking me this once i begin talking about rfid's with them
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2006 at 10:46am
check this post for some info about passive RFID: http://www.rfidtoys.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50&TPN =2

There are some other posts in here that also cover how it all works... just can't seem to find them right now ;)
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
rfbase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:37am
As many in the business media, and government (FDA and DHS) are learning RFID is really a "family of technologies". While it is true that 13.56MHz RFID technology uses the H field, ~900MHz RFID technology in use by Wal-Mart utilizes the E field and the tag reflects the energy back to the reader (so called backscatter). Wal-Mart is investigating the use of H field at ~900MHz, but this technique has only recently been proposed (mostly to deal with liquids and metals).

Also, one doesn't refer to the RFID tag or reader as an "RFID". RFID stands for radio frequency identification, so would you really say to someone where can I buy some radio frequency identifications?" Not if English is your first language.

Consistent use of RFID terminology is required to ensure fruitful discussions. The privacy wackos love when people can't get their facts exactly correct because it allows for obfuscation and misinformation campaigns.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic