RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Reader Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RFID Car Ignition!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hishamomran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFID Car Ignition!
    Posted: 12 January 2010 at 5:44pm

I have a question about a project that I'm working on! I'm trying to hook up a phidget RFID USB reader board to my cars' ignition wires. I'm assuming I'm gonna have to use a relay in order to enable the ignition circuit to work with only the RFID in proximity.

My problem is I'm worried about the ignition circuit power, it might damage my board or something? Also I was wondering if you got any easy schematic for the relay board to use in order to let the phidgets board only enable the ignition, or even initiate it?

If I'm not clear about any part please let me know!

P.S: I ordered the 

RFID-TAG-125-GAXSM

and the phidgets USB RFID reader board!

Do I need anything else?

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:36am
Hi there :)

I see a couple issues with this plan...

- First, the Phidget reader will not do anything for you unless it is connected to a computer. The Phidgets reader does not store tag IDs and cannot determine if your tag is "authorized" or not... for that it needs to be connected to a computer that runs software that talks to the Phidgets reader.

- Second, the purpose of the relay is to separate the car wiring from the reader. If you are unsure about how to wire this up safely, I would not recommend you alter your car's wiring. Test everything out on a workbench first, and get assistance where necessary when it comes time to install it in your vehicle.

- Finally, the Phidgets reader has a very hard time reading glass tags. I've only had minimal success getting it to read my larger 3mm by 13mm tag, and I can't get it to reliably read the 2mm by 12mm tags at all.

The good news is, I've been working with a company to produce a new reader that has built in memory so it can operate as a stand-alone reader, and it works really well with glass tags giving great range. It should be out in a month or two, so keep an eye on my blog... I'll be posting about it there once it's available for sale.

Edited by amal - 13 January 2010 at 11:37am
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
Hishamomran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hishamomran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 6:04pm
Amal,

I've watched 2 of your videos recently, one with the motorcycle and the other was on some talk show where you started a car with your bare hands.

My question is, did you have a computer installed when you triggered the unlock? Or is there another kind of RFID reader that doesn't need to be connected to a USB to operate?

And thanks for the reply BTW :)
Whiterabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whiterabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by amal amal wrote:

Hi there :)

The good news is, I've been working with a company to produce a new reader that has built in memory so it can operate as a stand-alone reader, and it works really well with glass tags giving great range. It should be out in a month or two, so keep an eye on my blog... I'll be posting about it there once it's available for sale.

I hate to ask, but will it cost less than $10?

Of course, no guarantees this will easily read glass tags at large distances. It DOES read them, but no guarantees the range will be larger than an inch or so...
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 11:27am

Ha! I use exactly that reader on my car. It works great (great = an inch or so) for glass tags because it has a cylindrical antenna :) But in answer to your question, the new reader will probably run around $69 or so... but to be fair it isn't designed for just access control. You'd be paying for features you'd not be using in a car entry scenario.

Edited by amal - 14 January 2010 at 11:38am
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
ecnal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 12:05pm
Amal,

This reader mentioned in the auction - can it be programmed easily for specific glass tags? I'm guessing it can and isn't just limited to the tags it comes with?
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 12:16pm
It can, but it uses a "master tag" for programming... which kinda sucks if you lose the master tag. How it works is; you hold the master tag over the antenna for 5 seconds and it wipes the memory. Then you pass the master tag over quickly, which puts it into "programming mode". Then you swipe whatever tag you want to add to the authorized list. That's it. Once the new tag is read, it is added and the reader goes back to normal operation. There is no way to remove only one tag though... or at least I've not found a way to... then again I've not tried just swiping the master tag and swiping an authorized tag... who knows, that may remove it.

Anyway, the pain in the butt part is the master tag... so it really works best if you don't have to change tag IDs much or at all (e.g. you have an implant instead of a card you could lose).
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
ecnal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 12:40pm
Well, it's not like I'd hand out dozens of tags or anything anyways :)

Sounds like something fun to play with and for ten bucks? Why not!
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 12:47pm
Totally... why not :) They aren't made anymore but a couple guys have like 10k of them in some warehouse somewhere and piecemeal them out on eBay. I bought a few and have a couple in a drawer just for kicks. For the cost, why not :)
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
ecnal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 4:48pm
These readers, if they lose power, do they lose their memory of approved tags? Like if I let this sit in my car for a day or two unpowered, would it still work find upon powerup?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic