RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Parts and info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keyspan USB Server

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by robby robby wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any devices similar to the
silex wireless one
that are compatible with OS X?

I bought the Silex SX2000WG and called silex support and they have a
version of their software for OS X. So far i have not been able to get the
phidget rfid reader to work but i think it may have to do with the phidget
framework because the device server is working.
ccowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 11:36pm

Has anyone tried anything like this http://preview.tinyurl.com/2q3qwf ?

It says it is for self powered devices, but it seems the Phidget could be hacked so it's power was supplied by a source separate from the USB connection.

I just got mine the other day and haven't spent much time with it, but I would like something less expensive as I am looking at placing 3 or 4 readers around our building.

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 6:10am
Originally posted by ccowley ccowley wrote:

Has anyone tried anything like this http://preview.tinyurl.com/2q3qwf It says it is for self powered devices, but it seems the Phidget could be hacked so it's power was supplied by a source separate from the USB connection.

I've not tried it, but it looks like a good solution. I'm curious what you mean by "the Phidget could be hacked so it's power was supplied by a source separate from the USB connection" ? Hacking a Phidget has nothing to do with the power supply, so what difference does it make where the power comes from?
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
ccowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 7:25am

Originally posted by amal amal wrote:

I've not tried it, but it looks like a good solution. I'm curious what you mean by "the Phidget could be hacked so it's power was supplied by a source separate from the USB connection" ? Hacking a Phidget has nothing to do with the power supply, so what difference does it make where the power comes from?

What I meant by "hack" is solder some wires on the Phidget reader to provide power to the Phidget reader since the USB extender says it is for self powered devices only. The Phidget reader gets its power from the USB connection, but it doesn't sound like the USB extender I linked to supplies any power from the originating (computer side) of the USB connection. So, a separate power source would have to supply power to the Phidget reader.

I think I'll go ahead and order one of these to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 7:28am
Ahh yeah.. I get it now ;) So much talk of RFID security flying around these days I went in the wrong direction with the word "hack" ;)

Please post your results using this device! It looks promising... so does the 4 port hub version (i wonder if that 4 port hub version has its own power injector)
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
ccowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 7:53am

It looks like the four port hub version can be powered by an external source since it says, "Requires: Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP or Mac OS 8.6+. High voltage devices may require a 5V, 2.5A adapter, not included." I think they actually meant higher current devices, since 5V is not what I would consider high.

For my purposes the single port extenders would work better. I ordered 3 today, so I'll let you know how they work out.

ccowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 1:54pm

Well, my three USB extenders came via UPS today. I tried them with a 6ft cat 5e cable first and was suprised to find that it actually did send the power through to the phidget board and worked well.

Next I tried a fifty foot length (since that is about what I need for my application) of cat 5e and it also works very well. It seems to be very reliable and everything. I then hooked up an LED and 20mA/5V reed relay to Phidget board to make sure it could still power them and read an RFID device. VERY COOL!  Everything worked great still! It appears I won't I have to supply a separate power supply for the Phidget board.

For those who are curious, the USB extender is approx. 2 1/4" x 1" x 1 1/2'' in size. It is a USB 1.1 extension device. No software is required for these devices.

Thanks Amal! Your book helped me to quickly get into RFID and start having some fun!

BTW - Does anyone know what the current max for the 5V output on the Phidget's board? I would like to try a little bit heavier duty relay, but I don't want to burn up the output section of the Phidget board.

Carl

amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by ccowley ccowley wrote:

BTW - Does anyone know what the current max for the 5V output on the Phidget's board? I would like to try a little bit heavier duty relay, but I don't want to burn up the output section of the Phidget board.

Glad you liked the book! To answer your question about the maximum supply current the Phidgets can give through it's 5v output, I'm guessing (if your USB port can supply it) you could push a full amp through that thing for short periods of time. I once connected an electric door strike right to the Phidget board (see the video) and it powered it just fine... the strike pulled around 1.2 amps at 5v, but I started getting that burning smell at around 5 seconds. It didn't burn out, but if I had kept it powered any longer it surly would have. I still use that Phidget board and strike for demos, and the strike is still directly connected to the Phidget board.

One thing to keep in mind is that most USB ports (especially USB 2.0 ports) aren't able to supply that much current... 500ma to 750ma is typical (think cell phone charging). However, powering a relay directly from the Phidget board is totally possible as long as you're not trying to power a giant substation connection relay or something :)
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
oldmaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 9:28am
Just to make sure, before i buy the silex one.

Is there any other solution, for me to connect, two USB connections [ one for PHIDGET RFID and one for PHIDGET DISPLAY LCD SCREEN , to a Central PC tunnelled over Wifi .

The problem, i think i might be facing is : i require at least 15 such device-pairs communicating with the central PC, and i require less USB ports at individual location.

Hope i addressed my issue.

Pls Suggest.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 9:42am

I think at this point your best bet is the Silex solution. I've not tested it with the Phidgets devices yet, but I'm pretty sure it will work fine.

I can't wait for wireless USB devices to hit the market, but that wouldn't help you out. Devices would have to be designed with wireless USB built in, and the Phidgets devices are wired USB (like everythign else is right now).

I think your best bet is to go with virtual USB ports using the Silex wifi device.

Amal ;)

www.amal.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic