RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > Book Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vista RFID Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadiancow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vista RFID Login
    Posted: 12 September 2007 at 4:59am
Does anyone have any code to allow RFID logins in Vista?
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2007 at 5:35pm
Sorry for the very late response on this (and other posts)... I've been busy working for the last couple months on renovating a new home and gutting/rebuilding my new home office... but I'm finally back up and running!

So, with the BS that nobody cares about out of the way... the deal with Vista is that they have completely done away with the GINA concept in Vista, so there is no port for the current RFID logon project for Vista.

On the other hand, by getting rid of the GINA, Vista has opened the door to all kinds of alternative credentials providers with a more modular approach to authentication:

GINAs Replaced with New Credential Providers
In previous releases, the customization of interactive user logon was done by creating a custom GINA. Despite the name, GINAs were responsible for more than simply gathering authentication information and rendering the UI to collect it. Because of this, custom GINAs were complex to create and usually required Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) support for successful implementation. Often, using a custom GINA resulted in unintended side effects, such as preventing fast user switching (FUS) and smartcard logon. In Windows Vista, GINAs are replaced with a new modular Credential Provider model that is easier to program to.

With this new interface, it should be far easier for someone to write an RFID authentication interface for Vista. I personally haven't bought into Vista yet, and it will probably be a long time in the making for me. Anyone else out there have Vista and feel like tackling an RFID authentication project?
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
elis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 5:57am
I'd like to know if there is still nothing available about Rfid login in Windos Vista.

canadiancow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadiancow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 11:45am
Originally posted by elis elis wrote:

I'd like to know if there is still nothing available about Rfid login in Windos Vista.

Wow.  I had completely forgotten about this thread.

I'd like to know too :)
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 9:10pm
Hi guys,

Personally, I'm still running XP and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. Someone else may have take the time to do this, but so far I've not heard of anyone doing it yet. If I do hear of it, I'll try to get them to post.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 10:00am
Hey guys, I'm finally working on a Vista/Win7 login project.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
nickbales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickbales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 8:12am
Any free applications available for vista or win 7? Currently I am using a usb reader and changed my password to the code in my tag but I would like a system that accepted more than one tag... Gonna do some research but thought I'd post up to see if I missed something...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic