RFID Toys Homepage
Holy crap, check out the Dangerous Things store!
Forum Home Forum Home > Projects and such > HOW-TOs and other projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antenna Design Notes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antenna Design Notes
    Posted: 12 October 2011 at 3:49pm
I've started accumulating various antenna design notes and documents. Some of it (maybe most of it) will be redundant, but I'm just tossing everything I come across up here. Hopefully some people will find something in this list useful.

Edited by amal - 12 October 2011 at 3:50pm
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
rookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 11:22am
Interesting reading but it seems that the majority of it is for the 13.56mhz range and is fairly advanced. Most of it just made my eyes glass over since its applications are for large scale commercial design. Do you have any info on making small 125mhz antennas?

Was thinking that a piece of sturdy card stock would make a good base for a smallish antenna made out of copper tape that could be mounted easily in a variety of places and form factors. Or could do a copper tape antenna on a piece of window cling and stick it on a tinted car window for a better scan location.

Also have you looked at the ID-2 at sparkfun that needs an external antenna was thinking it might be a good reader for a small form factor coupled with an arduino mini or nano for the logic control.
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 4:45pm
Microchip has a 125KHz antenna design guide here; 

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00678b.pdf

You'll have a really hard time making an antenna out of copper tape, especially for LF 125KHz. The HF antenna I made in the book from copper tape for a smart shelf demo was absolutely horrible compared to a professional grade 13.56MHz panel antenna.

The ID-2 is great, but the ID-12 is almost so small you'd almost not even bother with your own antenna. If you wanted to use an external antenna so you could place it further away from the microproc host, you could easily do that with the ID-12 and just as easily run power and data lines to it as you could a piece of coax for the antenna extension.

Edited by amal - 29 November 2011 at 4:47pm
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
amal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2011 at 4:46pm
Oh yes, you can also just buy pre-made coils; http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1639745-antenna-rfid-coil-125khz-ant-125k.html where the only thing you'd need is a tuning capacitor... unless your reader IC auto-tunes for you.
Amal ;)

www.amal.net
lovejen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovejen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 11:46pm
good!
thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic